In my nearly fifteen-year journey of yoga and meditation I’ve been asked what keeps me inspired and motivated. As life’s circumstances lead in various directions, there can be many distractions that keep us from coming back “home,” to ourselves.
Some believe that meditation requires you to sit in a quiet place and attempt to remove all thoughts from your consciousness. This practice, while helpful for those who are blessed with this free time can be a bit difficult to achieve.
Below are some profound quotes on meditation which teach us that by just realizing your breath, one can be liberated from the past and worry of the future. I hope you enjoy them.
1. “Mindfulness—recognition—helps us drop that habit of continually reliving the past.” ~ Thich Nhat Hanh from “Peace Is Every Breath”
2. “It does not matter how long you are spending on the earth, how much money you have gathered or how much attention you have received. It is the amount of positive vibration you have radiated in life that matters.” ― Amit Ray
3. “To understand the immeasurable, the mind must be extraordinarily quiet, still.” ― Jiddu Krishnamurti
4. “You exist in time, but you belong to eternity- You are a penetration of eternity into the world of time-You are deathless, living in a body of death- Your consciousness knows no death, no birth- It is only your body that is born and dies-But you are not aware of your consciousness-You are not conscious of your consciousness-And that is the whole art of meditation;Becoming conscious of consciousness itself.” ― Osho
5. “Meditation is the dissolution of thoughts in Eternal awareness or Pure consciousness without objectification, knowing without thinking, merging finitude in infinity.” ― Voltaire
6. “The act of meditation is being spacious.” ― Sogyal Rinpoche
7. “Quiet the mind, and the soul will speak.” ― Ma Jaya Sati Bhagavati, The 11 Karmic Spaces: Choosing Freedom from the Patterns That Bind You
8. “Meditation is the ultimate mobile device; you can use it anywhere, anytime, unobtrusively.” ― Sharon Salzberg, Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation
9. “Meditation is not a way of making your mind quiet. It is a way of entering into the quiet that is already there – buried under the 50,000 thoughts the average person thinks every day.” ― Deepak Chopra
10. “The meditative mind sees disagreeable or agreeable things with equanimity, patience, and good-will. Transcendent knowledge is seeing reality in utter simplicity.” ― Jean-Yves Leloup, Compassion and Meditation: The Spiritual Dynamic between Buddhism and Christianity
11. “Meditation practice isn’t about trying to throw ourselves away and become something better. “It’s about befriending who we are already.” ~ Pema Chodron
12. “The stormy life can be braved only by the heart’s sunny meditations.” ~ Sri Chinmoy
13. “You get peace of mind not by thinking about it or imagining it, but by quietening and relaxing the restless mind.” ― Remez Sasson
14. “When you reach a calm and quiet meditative state, that is when you can hear the sound of silence.” ― Stephen Richards, The Ultimate Cosmic Ordering Meditation
15. “The man who has no inner life is a slave to his surroundings.” ~ Henri Fredric Amiel
16. “I deepen my experience of God through prayer, meditation, and forgiveness.” – Marianne Williamson
17. “Those who sit perfectly physically usually take more time to obtain the true way of Zen.” – Shunryu Suzuki, Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind
18. ”Meditation brings wisdom; lack of mediation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what hold you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.” – Buddha
19. ”Prayer is when you talk to God; meditation is when you listen to God.” – Diana Robinson
20. ”If a person’s basic state of mind is serene and calm, then it is possible for this inner peace to overwhelm a painful physical experience.” – The Dalai Lama
21. ”Reading makes a full man, meditation a profound man, discourse a clear man. – Benjamin Franklin Meditation… dissolves the mind. It erases itself. Throws the ego out on its big brittle ass.” ~ Tom Robbins
22. “If you want to find God, hang out in the space between your thoughts.” – Alan Cohen
23. “Every path, every street in the world is your walking meditation path.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
24. “Thus meditating you will no longer strive to build yourself up in your prejudices, but, forgetting self, you will remember only that you are seeking the Truth.” – James Allen
25. “Meditation is the discovery that the point of life is always arrived at in the immediate moment.” – Alan Watts
26. “The gift of learning to meditate is the greatest gift you can give yourself in this lifetime.” – Sogyal Rinpoche
27. “If your mind is empty, it is always ready for anything; it is open to everything. In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, in the expert’s mind there are few.” – Shunryu Suzuki
28. “I know but one freedom and that is the freedom of the mind.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
29. “Mindful meditation has been discovered to foster the ability to inhibit those very quick emotional impulses.” –Daniel Goleman
And my ABSOLUTE favorite…
30. “Look within, There is no difference between yourself, Self and Guru. You are always Free. There is no teacher, there is no student, there is no teaching.” ― Sri H.W.L. Poonja
What quotes have helped you in your spiritual journey? I’d love if you shared them below.
About Michelle Rosado
Michelle Rosado is a professional speaker and best-selling co-author of "Pursuing Your Destiny: How to Overcome Adversity and Achieve Your Dreams." Follow Michelle for inspiring messages and quotes.