In my previous blog post I discussed the new addition to my garden…a beautiful aloe vera plant, inherited by my beloved Mom. I’m happy to announce that the plant is very content in my greenhouse and growing so rapidly that it’s produced pups!
Knowing that aloe vera has many medicinal properties, including cooling the skin after overexposure to the sun, is packed with powerful antibacterial properties, etc., I decided to look online for an easy do-it-yourself face mask using the adult leaves from my plant. Being that I am a vegan, however, I found the ingredients in most of these recipes were not only derived by animal by-products, but harmful chemicals that would defeat the purpose of having an all-natural skin care regimen altogether.
So, I decided to play around a bit with the recipe and this is what I came up with for my own face mask….
- 1 tbsp organic vegan cane sugar or raw sugar
- Aloe vera leaf (or 100% aloe vera juice and/or gel)
- 1/2 tbsp organic plain almond milk (vitamin E in this milk can retain skin moisture)
- Mix the milk and sugar until the sugar is not so grainy
- If you do have an aloe vera plant, choose a leaf size according to how much juice is within the leaf. Instructions on how to get the juice (and gel) from the plant can be found here. If using aloe vera juice from a bottle, use 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp or more if you choose.
- Mix aloe vera juices from leaf with sugar/milk combo.
- Spread over face and neck and leave for five minutes (or longer, whichever you choose).
- Wash off with wet washcloth. Tip: additional residue can be removed with your regular scrub.
I was AMAZED what the mask had done for my face even after just five minutes of initial application. My face had a wonderful glow and there was hardly a need for moisturizer afterwards, with the exception of suncreen before walking my dog. 🙂
There was still quite a bit of it left, so I was able to keep the remainder in my fridge for a few days until I used it again.
There you have it. Try it for yourself and let me know what you think!
About Michelle Cruz Rosado
Michelle Cruz Rosado is a professional speaker and bestselling co-author of "Pursuing Your Destiny: How to Overcome Adversity and Achieve Your Dreams." Follow Michelle for inspiring messages and quotes.